This blog is a collection of my work in my educational technology courses for my Master's at Michigan State University.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Traditional web pages vs. blogs
Blogs offer greater opportunities for sharing and collaboration between the creators and the users than do traditional web pages. Blogs have capabilities for information to be shared back and forth very quickly. Blogs can be updated from mobile phones and people can post comments immediately. I think that blogs are appealing because they offer new content frequently. I like to look at my favorite blog because each day there is a new recipe to try. I look forward to the fact that everyday I will be able to learn some new information from viewing this blog.Traditional websites are not as efficient in updating new information and offer very little opportunities for people to make comments about the content of the website. However, I think websites are more organized than blogs. Typically a company pays a large amount to have their website be appealing to the viewer. The website doesn't become cluttered by comments that may have no relevance to my interests.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When you mentioned your favorite blog and recipes, the first thought that came to mind was the movie Julie & Julia. I believe you are right, blogging, as a medium, does provide us with many wonderful opportunities to share what we know, collaborate with others, or just have an old-fashion conversation with the world.
ReplyDeleteYour comparisons make a great point about the purpose of web sites versus blogs. Yes, for large companies web pages are a form of branding and they want their potential customers to believe they have made the right choice selecting this company and their products. Blogging tends to be far more informal.
ReplyDeleteNice job! I agree that blogs tend to be updated but I also think there are a lot of them that are not. We tend to not look at ones that are not updated. Webpages can be that way as well. I think you are right about the frequency of updating. I think that people tend to take ownership of blogs differently than webpages.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment about blogs not being as organized as traditional web sites. This is both positive and negative. Everyone gets a voice, but some people use blogs to write off topic or pointless comments. Sometimes, depending on the site, it can be time consuming to navigate all the posts.
ReplyDeleteI like that you mentioned that blogs can be more fun than traditional web pages because they are updated more often. I definitely visit websites that are updated often much more often than any others! They are probably the best kind for advertisers, since people visit them so often.
ReplyDelete