I viewed some tutorials through Atomic Learning to learn some tips on how have better security for my computer when using the Internet. Here is some information I learned.
1. Tips for safer web browsing. I learned that there are more secure web browser that you can use rather that Internet explorer. I knew that people used different browsers but I had no idea it was because they were safer to use. I learned that setting Mozilla Firefox as my default browser is a much more secure browser to have for using the Internet. I was surprised that Internet explorer was not a secure source.
2. Explaining Cookies. I have heard the word cookie many times referring to something on my computer but I had no idea what it was. I learned that it is an information file that is stored on my hard drive. It lets a website recognize me and keep track of what I am doing. This explains to me why websites remember me and advertise specifically to my interests. I would share with a friend how they can go to their computer and open their cookie folder and see the files that are there that websites are reading. I was surprised to learn that there are such things as persistent cookies that will forever remain on my hard drive and can be accessed by a website even after I leave the website. I was thinking that the tutorial was going to tell the dangers of cookies but it basically just said it helps commercial websites create advertisements that are catered to my interests.
3. Understanding how malware spreads. Previously I watched the tutorial about what is malware. I learned that it is a catch all term to refer to viruses, spyware, adware etc. I learned how a computer ends up having it and then passing it on. I knew some of the obvious ways like through email attachments. But I was surprised to learn that you can get it when you download free software like a free screen saver. Spyware is automatically installed on your computer when the free software is installed. I will definitely be sharing with others the importance of keeping their system protected through updated anti-virus software. Through the other tutorials that I watched, I learned that there are many free programs that can be downloaded to protect your computer. I learned about one called spyware blaster. The tutorial walked me through the process of enabling protection for my webbrowsers. I was surprised to learn that there were free programs out there that only take a few minutes to prevent my computer from getting damaged from malware.
Viruses and malware are nasty! I've had to "ghost" my computers at least 6 times because of infected files that slipped past the software I had installed on my computer. About 9 months ago, I switched to a program called AVG Free - an anti-virus program. It automatically alerts me if any file I try to download is dangerous. It places a green check mark next to safe sites when I conduct a search. Great way to tell a clean site from a harmful one.
ReplyDelete