This week I read the companion document to the Michigan Merit Curriculum Online Experience Guideline. This was a great article that explained in detail what qualifies as a successful online learning experience. I really like out it outline the essential characteristics of a quality online learning experience. These characteristics were really helpful in explaining how using technology in the classroom needs to have certain components in order for it to be a meaningful experience for students. I teach elementary students and this guideline was created for students in 6-12 grade. However as an elementary teacher I see the need to begin the process of teaching students the value on online tools and resources so that they have a strong foundation for when they enter middle school and high school. I think that all of the characteristics listed can be started in elementary school. The two most important characteristics of online learning that are necessary for building a firm foundation for students are life-long learning skills and online ethics and safety. I think that if these can be established at the elementary level then students will have a strong background to safely being using the internet for more advanced learning in middle and high school.
I really like how this article listed examples of online learning experiences. The resources listed under each learning experience are such a valuable tool to have. I plan to print these off and keep them close to my preparation materials in the classroom. I would really like to use the online field trips as a technology resource in my classroom. With funds limited in so many districts it can be very difficult to let students learn and explore in an authentic environment. There are so many skills in especially in Science and Social Studies that could be taught much more effectively if students could interact with an online resource rather than just the text book. I think having students take an online field trip to a weather center would be a very powerful way to teach this concept rather than just reading about it or hearing a story about it. I think it would be much more real to them. As I use online resources with my students I would use an inquiry approach. I would have students develop questions that they have about a concept and use the online field trip as way for them to gather and interpret information.
It would be harder to use some of the more advanced technologies listed in the guideline because I work with such young students. For example the career planning tools or the electronic portfolio would be too complex for students who are just beginning to use online resources. However there are such an abundance of other online learning experiences available that are suitable for elementary students. I plan to use these in my classroom so that my students develop a strong foundation for online learning so that they understand that value that safe virtual learning is for their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment