After each semester I think that it is important to reflect upon my learning and think deeply about how I can use my new knowledge and skills to bring about change in my classroom. By taking time to reflect, I can monitor what I have learned, identify areas that I need to develop stronger skills in, and relate my learning to my unique situation. This posting is a thoughtful response to my experience in CEP and a plan for my future goals regarding technology in the classroom.
This semester I learned a lot about data visualization. I learned the significance of incorporating visual tools into the classroom in order to promote student learning and appeal to different learning styles. I plan to use the data visualization tools listed in the wiki by Karl Gude. Specifically I plan to use Mind 42 to as a tool for my students to create thinking maps. I also plan to research this website further to find new visualization tools to help me integrate technology in the classroom. I created the PowerPoint presentation above as a visual representation of my current reflections and goals about technology I will use this post to expand on the thoughts stated in the PowerPoint.
I think that the clip of Grey’s Anatomy is an accurate example of my experience with technology. As I was watching this episode, I kept connecting the events that Dr. Webber was encountering with Twitter to my own experience with technology. His lack of understanding of the social networking tool led to distrust and dislike of it. However once he investigated the program and saw the positive outcomes of using it, he quickly changed his mind. He not only changed his mind, but he eagerly embraced Twitter as a learning and communicating tool so that his medical practice could be enriched. This is similar to how interact with new technology. I am always apprehensive to try something new because it seems overwhelming or out of my reach. However, after I learn about a new technology and see how others have used it, I am more trusting to try it myself. CEP 812 has pushed me to try new resources like Windows Movie Maker that I have been reluctant in the past to try. It is my plan to continue to pursue my Masters in educational technology so that I will have a driving force to guide me into learning about technology integration in the classroom.
I created a slide to list the technology resources that have been significant to me in CEP 810,811, and 812. I think that it is important to keep a list of resources that have been useful to me or ones that I see potential is using in the future. It is easy to forget about the tools that I have learned after a class is over. I have created this space as a place to record resources that I plan to use to help meet my goals. This list is a working list. I will add resources to it as I learn about them. I believe that I will be more likely to use these resources if they are written down. It is my goal to continue to use these resources as I implement technology in the classroom and prepare myself to be a 21st century educator.
My specific goals for the following year are listed in the PowerPoint. I plan to continue work on phase 2 of my wicked problem project. Next fall I will head back into the classroom. I intend to work with my students throughout the year on creating podcasts of vodcasts as a way to solve the problem of students missing instructional time. My goals for this implementation are laid out in my wicked problem project. It is also my goal this year to continue to network with other educators committed to integrating technology in the classroom. I have learned so many new resources and ideas from participating in MACUL space. I have just recently joined the networking site Classroom 2.0. I plan to use this as a space to share my ideas about technology in the classroom and learn what others are doing. I think that both of these networking sites will increase my skills and knowledge of technology in the classroom. My last goal for the year is to use my blog or website as a functional tool in the classroom. I created both of these last semester in CEP 810. I haven’t had a chance to use these in my own classroom yet. Next year when I go back to the classroom, I plan to use either of these resources as a learning and communicating tool for my students, their parents, and my colleagues. I envision it being a place where I can upload student work, communicate with parents about what is going on in the classroom, and network with my fellow teachers. I think that setting these three goals is a manageable way to integrate technology in the classroom. By only committing these three to my agenda, I will guarantee that I can give them sufficient attention and that they will be carried out in a meaningful way.
We did learn a lot about data visualization. I think this is important for all grades, but especially when working with lower elementary students. One of my goals, as well, was to update my professional website and keep it updated. I like your idea about saving all the resources for each of the classes. (Thanks!)
ReplyDelete